Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Crunchy Granola Bad-ass

I don't deny my hippie status.
Actually, it's more like earth-child/homemaker/overall bad-ass.
Most Bikram Yoga Teachers aren't crunchy granola-heads. Most of my fellow Bikram Yogis and Yoginis love good food. Pure food. Well crafted, simple foods. Myself, included.
And I love granola. Any kind of granola, really. But, I'm finding most days, they're making so many super-fancy granolas, I get overwhelmed when trying to decide on a flavor and spending much longer at Whole Foods than I'd really like to. Plus, a lot of granola is made with a ton of oil.
This prompted today's experiment: Granola

Ingredients and Lab Tools:
Rolled Oats
Brown Sugar
Water
Vanilla
Cinnamon
Raisins
Butter
Baking Pan
Spatula

Lab Techniques:
Pre-heat the oven to 350
I made a thick paste with the brown sugar, water and a little vanilla, then coated the oats with it. I smeared some butter inside the baking pan, so the oats/sugar paste mixture wouldn't stick to it. I spread the oats in the pan evenly, sprinkled it with cinnamon and popped it in the oven. I waited until it started to smell awesome and turned a lovely golden color, then pulled it out and let it cool.
Once it cooled, I scooped the granola out, using the spatula, letting it break up into chunks naturally, then added the raisins and stored it in a glass jar.

Results:
Delicious. My roommate and I have been eating it straight from the jar a lot...

No comments:

Post a Comment